Friday, January 6, 2012

Austin Chronicle :: The Austin Chronicle Music Anthology

Austin Chronicle Music Anthology
Edited by Austin Powell
and Doug Freeman
Buy It Now
The Year in Books
Thirty-one titles that got us talking this year
BY KIMBERLEY JONES, SARAH SMITH, JAMES RENOVITCH, CINDY WIDNER, MONICA RIESE, AND WAYNE ALAN BRENNER

It's no wonder so many food-related metaphors extend into our reading nooks: Good books are not mere entertainment; they sustain, nourish, and enrich. I gleefully devoured these books, the bread and butter of my bookshelf, which made serving up this recipe for reading success a piece of cake, no matter what your cup of literary tea. (I'll stop now.)

Feed your mind: My two favorite music writers, Austin Powell and Doug Freeman, unleashed The Austin Chronicle Music Anthology (University of Texas Press) this spring (see "Off the Record," Music, March 4, 2011). Despite having had this book for eight months and having lived in this fair town six-plus years now, I know there's always something else in those pages I can learn about our collective musical history. It's a beautiful volume, and the only one I know of in which Joan Jett and Jay-Z make appearances five pages apart.

Read the full list of books at austinchronicle.com »

No comments:

Post a Comment